Love is Finding Perfection

Joshua - St. Paul, Minnesota
Themes: love

Love is About Finding Perfection

Love is not about finding the perfect person but seeing an imperfect person perfectly, this is what I believe true love means, And what I have used in my own life to great success.

Often i hear remarks from adults, movies, books, TV shows, that as teenagers we do not know what love is, that our definition and feeling of love is wrong and wont be understood until we “grow up”. For years i didn’t think much of these stereotypes given to teens. It didn’t mean much to me. I didn’t know what love was so i believed that stereotype and in a way conformed to it like many other teens. The reason was because i never knew a definition for love that made sense and had never been in love.

Just months ago i did not know love. I now know i have found a person that even though some may not find her perfectly, I do, I know that I am in love. Now I feel strongly about this stereotype given to teens. I am not saying that all teens who think that they are in love truly are. I have seen many relationships in which one person sees flaws in their significant other, but still they think they are in love, and it is obvious that it wont last forever.

I wasn’t sure I was any different than the average teen at first. That changed soon after I found the girl I am in love with from something simple and easily missed by others. One day i heard a quote, “It isn’t about finding the perfect person, but seeing an imperfect one perfectly.”

The meaning of the quote is obvious, you are in love if you do not see flaws in the person you think you love. Although the meaning is very clear, I pondered the it for some time and went in depth with it and came up with what it means to me and how to apply it to love.

I created my own personal definition of what “love” really is and how to know if you are in love, and this is what i came up with. Everybody is perfect for somebody and NOBODY is perfect for everybody, it’s about finding that one person in life that no matter what they say, believe, think, act like, look like, no matter how imperfect others try to tell you they are, you still see them perfectly in every way possible. One flaw and there is a chance it will end.

All too often teenagers will look for the girl/guy that others say is perfect. The reason for this is simple, friends. Friends have the most influence over decisions in a teens life. And they say what to look for in a girl, whether it be the popular girl, hottest girl in school, one with money, somebody tall, certain eye color, hair color, any number of characteristics. But the truth is that nobody can tell you who to love, and when they do and you listen, from what I have seen it ends in a breakup. This common way of finding somebody is the reason the stereotype exist.

I have applied my way of viewing love, my personal definition, to my life and my relationship, and even as a fifteen year old sophomore in high school, I strongly believe that I have found love with a girl that to me is perfect in every way. I have not notice one flaw and I feel happier then I have ever been with her. I think that if more people saw the quote that made me realize what love is, the word love would be a less used and more meaningful word.