Fortune Cookie

Mysteri - Soldotna, Alaska
Themes: sports, work

I believe you have to eat the cookie for the fortune to come true.

China Sea is my favorite restaurant. The “all you can eat” buffet delights me every time. From the salad, egg rolls, and rice to the ice cream at the end, my favorite part is the fortune cookies that get delivered with the sometimes-expensive check. I always anticipate this arrival and appreciate what it has to offer. I have a theory though. If someone does not eat the cookie after they open it, the fortune they received will not come true.

My family is not prone to believing myths or superstitions and really, neither am I. No one has ever told me the superstition of the fortune cookie; thought of it myself. It just turns out to be something I firmly believe in, and even when I think I can eat no more, I always seem to manage my way to finishing off every bit of the cookie.

The simplest of things can represent the biggest of ideas. The fortune cookie symbolizes the process in which action must be applied to achieve your goals. By just consuming the cookie you are accomplishing further. But people might urge for more than just a fortune to come true.

Like the fortune cookie, there are many goals people would like to acquire. A personal example of mine would be softball. I am a pitcher. Being a freshman in high school, I do not have seniority over any of the former players, but I would like to pitch in a varsity game. To do this, I must throw harder, run faster, and play the game with more passion than any other teammate. In this instance, the effort is more significant in terms of physical requirements. And that is my key to success.

“God gives every bird a worm, but he does not throw it into the nest.” Swedish Proverb

Sometimes, in life, our objectives require minimal or taxing effort. Whether they are basic or complicated, we will embrace these achievements through levels of sacrifice. It is only up to ones self to decide if they will eat the cookie, and live out the fortune.