I believe in Embrace

Shawna - toledo, Ohio

I believe in embracing the world around you. I say this because I didn’t for a little while, and now I look at my son and wish I could turn back time to when he was born. He grew up too fast. Watching my children grow more and more each day has enriched m life for the best. My children are my heart, my soul, my universe. I work my whole life around them.

When my son, who is now unbelievably 3 years old, said his first word, it made my entire world light up.

I still remember the day I had him like it was yesterday. It was the 15th of December in 2005. I can remember what I was feeling, and the smell of the room I was in. I was so nervous, but yet so excited. I can also remember looking over at my mother, and her telling me that everything was going to be okay. Her smile calmed me. The room smelled of sanitizer, metal, and rubber.

My children are the sun during my darkest hours, and the stability of happiness.

Two and a half years later, unexpectedly, my daughter was born. She was my surprise, change-a-life baby. Not knowing I was pregnant with her until the day she was born, I was the typical college student, partying and drinking. Along with that was smoking cigarettes. Amazingly, besides a lower than normal birth weight, she is a perfectly healthy baby.

I remember lying in the hospital bed the day after I had her wondering how and when I was going to tell my family that I had another baby. I wondered how we were going to support her and how we were going to take her home; we didn’t even have a car seat. After finally telling my parents and my family about my precious baby girl, they brought me clothes, bottles, a car seat, and some toys.

As I have said before, my children are my backbone, and from this moment on, I am going to embrace every smile, every kiss, every hug, every cry, every “oopsies”, and every giggle.