I Believe Nice Guys Finish Last

Aaron - Wichita, Kansas

I believe that nice guys finish last

In every woman’s fantasy they dream about a bad boy. They don’t dream about their best friend that has always been there when they get their heart broken. Or the guy that always complements them on how beautiful they are or makes them feel special. He is the guy you know you can always talk to and always somehow solves your problems by showing you a side you could not see because of the pain. They know that he is the perfect guy for them and exactly what they want, but they just can’t find it in them to give him a shot. There are many classic excuses that they use like; “I would love to date you but you are too good of a friend and I would hate to ruin our friendship.” There is always the, “Sorry, but you are too much like a brother to me.” And then there is the classic, “You are too good for me because I’m an awful person.”

Sometimes it is like you are putting yourself out there on a limb and when they say something like that; the limb just breaks in two and you are falling to the rocky bottom. You go up to your best chick friend that you have known for most your life and you ask the question, “Will you go out with me?” She acts surprised and then she just blows it off like it’s nothing with a comment like, “I really like you, but I don’t want to ruin our friendship.” Even though you both know it is a lie. Sometimes you will hear her say she isn’t ready yet, but then two weeks later she is dating some guy that turns out to be one of your best friends. Or she tells you that she likes you so you both start hanging out more. Then, the next thing you know she’s messing around with all your friends while you are just standing there on the sideline.

The nice guy feels like his chest is about to explode from all the pain locked within. Hearing those words set it off and he becomes hollow inside. There is nothing left but darkness and pain.

Then the time comes in his life when he finally meets the right girl but yet he can’t even give their love a chance because his heart has been broken so many times, it has become hard and cold. He has become hollow and cold inside and has lost all his faith and kindness for women. This is the time in his life when he becomes the most dangerous. He starts changing into the things that he hated back in his younger days. He becomes the man that causes all the problems for women that he tried to fix. He starts trying to find ways to cope with the pain. He starts doing idiotic things he would never dream of doing. I believe this is the lowest point in life a man can fall. He has truly become what he hated and fought so hard to protect his friends from. He is no longer the kind, loving puppy once known by his friends. He has become a ragged dog of the streets with nowhere to go.

Even his friends begin to drift away. All the ones he once held dear are gone. They believe they have caused him all this pain and that is why he has become bitter. This is why they choose to leave before things get to bad. Now he is lonely and only has the darkness and his depressants to relieve him of the pain and erase the past. But it is always there lurking in the shadows waiting to strike when he is most vulnerable. He breaks down in the middle of the dark room because he finally realized that he has changed and hurt too much, that he can never go back. This is why nice guys do not finish first or even close to the top. They always finish last because this transformation takes away everything from them and they have nothing. They cannot go on. They just remain in the back of the pack.