I Believe The word Love Means Nothing

Aaron - Wichita, Kansas
Themes: love, question

I Believe the Word Love Means Nothing

The word love has no real meaning in our generation today. How can it have any true meaning when it is thrown around so loosely without a care? Love is suppose to be something strong and powerful between two people, but it has become weaker over time with the careless use of it. Every day in the halls of high schools in our nation, girls use “I love you” as a way to get somebody to do something for them. Just today in the halls during lunch there were numerous accounts of this occurring. There was one girl who said to her friend, “Will you go get a pop for me if I give you the money, please, I love you.” Or when two friends go to leave, “Bye best friend I love you,” is often heard. Deep down they truly do not love them. They do not understand what true love is. How can they understand when they use it so carelessly? It is impossible to truly know what love is until it is ripped away from you.

But girls are not the only ones that should be blamed for this problem, guys are just as bad. Whenever a girl says “I love you” to a guy, the guy will say it back because this is what he believes will make her happy. Guys also use the word as a way to get lucky. Yes, this does make them happy because they are naïve and actually believe it. It will hurt them worst when they find out he did not mean it when he said ‘’I love you” back. For him to tell her, “ I am not ready to say that yet because I do not have that feeling and when I say those three words, I want to mean it,” would still hurt but it would not hurt as bad. Plus, hearing that from him could make her feel better cause then she would know that when those words come out of his mouth, he will actually mean it and they will have the true strong and powerful meaning that they should have.

Everybody can be held accountable for saying “I love …” without actually meaning it. Nobody could really love an object, food, or drink. That’s not what love is about. As long as the word love gets thrown around so carelessly, teens and young adults will not grasp what it truly means. Teens and young adults will not understand what they true meaning of that word is because they use it so freely. This is why I believe the word love has no meaning in today’s society.