the night that will never be forgotten

sasha - brockport pa 15823, Pennsylvania

“Live life to the fullest” are not words that you should live by. Sometimes you can go a little crazy and do things that are very drastic and life changing. They can not only change your life but the lives of many others. You can get carried away with “having fun” and end up almost losing your life.

That’s what my brother did; he got carried away with drinking one night because he thought it was the cool thing to do, get drunk and do stupid things thinking that nothing would ever happen to him. Well sure enough it “it him in the butt”. He wrecked his car into a tree and almost lost his life because of one night of fun.

It was November 1, 2008 at around 1:15 in the morning, and I was at my best friend Brooke’s house dead asleep when her mom came into the room and woke me up to tell me that my Aunt Wendy was on the phone. Right there I knew something bad happened and I was afraid to get on the phone to hear it. But anyways I got up the courage and talked to her. The first thing she said to me was, “Sasha, your brother was in a really bad car accident and he was life-lighted to Altoona.” After hearing that I just dropped to the floor in tears. I thought I was dreaming at one point until I felt my second mom, Barb’s, arms around me comforting me while I was still on the phone with my aunt. She told me that he was out partying with a bunch of kids. Things got out of control with some of them and my brother drove off. He was going way too fast, they estimated it to be around ninety mph, around a turn and crashed into a tree, hitting on the driver side caving it in completely.

The ambulance medics said that when they found him his heart rate was four to five beats every minute. That is way below what it should be. Where his heart rate was it could have made the medics consider him to be dead. Thankfully one of the medics was friends with my brother and did not give up on him.

When morning came I left for the hospital in Pittsburgh where they moved him because he was worse than they thought he was. I just remember my ride there. I tried my hardest not to cry but I lost it and just bawled my eyes out then I was clam for awhile and then lost it again. I knew that crying now would do no good because it’d be so much worse when I actually saw him up close.

We got to the hospital and I got to the sixth floor, which was the intensive care unit (ICU), and I saw my family filling the waiting room spilling out into the hall. They were all crying and hugging each other. But the only person I wanted was my brother. When my aunt Wendy saw me she told me to go pick up the phone and tell that person on the other end I was here to see my brother. Bu t I couldn’t do it so she did it for me. I walked down the hall with shaking legs. I got to the second room and I saw my mom. When I turned the corner to go in I saw him lying there. For a second I thought it was the wrong room because it didn’t’ look a thing like him until I looked on his arm and saw one of his tattoos. I fell to the floor and cried harder than I ever have in my entire life.

The next couple of weeks were so hard to deal with. Things kept going wrong and I didn’t know if he would make it through it all and if he did would he be the same. I was so afraid of losing my big brother, the one person who always stuck up for me and made sure I had good friends and found a great guy and because of him I did! I don’t know what I’d do if he didn’t make it through. He was one of the main people who made me who I am. Sure enough he made it through and survived. I thank God and everyone who prayed for him so much. They were a big help and were there for me and my family.

Life is such a precious gift. I will never take it for granted ever again or anything else. Even though this has happened five months ago, I still think about his wreck everyday. I still cry when I see his scars because it reminds me of what I went through with him. Seeing him laying there in that bed lifeless, it just hurt more then anything else has. Now, I’m a stronger person and can get through things more easily then I would’ve if this didn’t happen. I mean I would have preferred that it didn’t, but it taught not only him a lesson but it has taught me many.

Today I take my life more seriously then I ever did before. I think constantly about things before I actually do them. I now think of my brother before acting. I even try to get my friends to do the same because I don’t want them to have anything like that happen to them. They may think I’m just an old broken record playing, preaching to them about silly things. Even though they may not listen to me, I still say it hoping that at one point in their lives they will and I’ll make a difference to them.