ART and the idea behind it

Alexis - Urbana, Illinois

I believe that meaning behind the art is more important than the art itself.

I think that when one looks at art they first look at the technique of the piece and how it was made. Also people have a general idea that art is restricted to just paintings, but there is much more than that. Art can come in different forms such as architecture, filming, dance, and even facial make-up. There are going to be numerous interpretations of what is presented, each one unique to the person whom observes.

I know in my life i have seen my fair share of the arts in my community and those offered by society and i have developed my own opinions on them based on my own taste. When i do have criticism about things i tend to be more critical towards newly raised structures such as business buildings or simply a house next door.

Usually i give my opinion behind something if i believe I have valid reason to make one. One opinion that I won’t let anyone refute ever is that the new house that was built next door to my house in May, 2007 is awful. Its not that its poorly constructed or that is doesn’t fit in with the style of the community but the fact of what used to be there was more important to me than what is there now.

Before the house was built there was this huge pine tree that was planted in my neighbors yard. standing 3 stories tall, every Christmas it would decorated beautifully with hand made ornaments and bright lights. during this holiday season my community seems to brighten up. in front of my neighbors’ yard carolers would gather singing, drawing crowds who admire both the display of the tree and the singers. every year around Christmas this tree became a center of my community, my neighborhood. but after my neighbor moved away and sold his property ,the next thing i know is that the tree, the symbol that brings together my communities soul for one day out of year, has been removed; chopped down into tiny logs.

Every time i look at that house all i feel is this deep hate for it and there is nothing that can make feel any different. this is what i mean when i say the meaning that is represented is more important than what is there. anyone can have a opinion about what they see, but it takes another kind of thought to understand what it represents.

that is why I believe that the meaning behind the art is more important than the art itself.