Coaching Changes Lives

Bryan - Duluth, Minnesota
Themes: sports

I believe that coaching can improve lives and help shape futures. The benefits of having a coach may be unclear at first, but does become more apparent as time goes on.

A coach improves lives in many different ways, for example, a coach can be like a parent. A coach will set rules and boundaries that can help shape people into more educated and more efficient beings. For instance when I was on a team, if one of the players was unable to achieve an above average grade on his report card, our coach would have him sit out of games until he brought his grades up.

For younger students, a coach will help promote maturity. For example, when I was young, my coach had my team go out and raise money for charities to help other people. This taught us about modern problems in society and that we could help. Another way that a coach improves lives is helping people develop skills like respect and teamwork, both of which can be used anywhere one might go in life.

Until I was eighteen years old, I had at least three different coaches every year. Some coaches were more memorable than others but one comes to mind before all the rest. This coach coached me on my hockey team from eleven until I turned thirteen. He taught the team that there was more to life than just playing hockey. This was important because no matter how far we all went with the sport, it did have to end at some point. Number one on his list of importance was showing respect. As a team we were taught to show every player, parent, and fan the respect that they deserved. “No monkey business’ was the line he used to say and it was now the time to grow up and stop acting like kids. On game days it was mandatory that all the players show up in collared shirts and ties. “You dress for a game like you dress for a job.”

My coach improved our whole team in more ways than any of our parents ever thought a coach would. He made us work harder in school, be more polite, and most of all understand that life was more than being a kid. After playing for this coach, I had a clearer and truer look at life and what was needed to further myself in the “real world”. It was an easy way for the whole team to learn these values because we were learning through something that we wanted to do and be part of.