I Believe in the Importance of Family

Tara - Teeds Grove, Iowa

I Believe

I believe in the importance of family. Saying goodbye to someone you love is one of the hardest things you will have to do. Savor your time with them as it was the last time.

When I was a little girl my grandma would baby sit me whenever I wasn’t at school. We use to have a lot of good times together. We would make cookies, make little rock critters, play with all my moms old dolls, dance, and my favorite go out of pizza. She would take me to the same place for pizza every week.

As I got a little older I didn’t spend a lot of time with her like most teens. But one day we got a call that changed all that. I was sixteen years old and my aunt called to say my grandma was in the hospital. At the time they were not sure what had happened to her. All I could think about was that I should have spent more time with her.

A couple days later after the doctors had ran hundreds of test. They said that she had a stroke but that’s not all she had a tumor on her brain and they were going to do surgery. After the doctors did the surgery we found out that she had cancer and would have to go through chemo and radiation.

I remember go up to the hospital to visit her everyday through all of this. I remember the look on her face the first time she ran her fingers through her hair and it would just fall out. This was one of the hardest things that I had to watch someone that I loved go through. I would go with my mother and my aunt to look for wigs or anything to cover her head to make her feel better. She loved it the first time that she put a wig on her head. That was the first time that I had seen her smile in a long time.

About a month after we found out that she had cancer we were told that she only had about six months to live. A big shock since she wasn’t that old. I was confused I didn’t know how to take it I was about to have a baby and I wanted my grandma to be able to meet my baby. I would take my ultra sound pictures for her to see. She was so excited to be a great grandmother.

As a few months passed us bye all we had was the memories from the past to share. She pasted away the day after my child was born. Like she was holding out to make sure that my baby was healthy and she got to see pictures of her before she went. I love my grandma and to this day I still hold on to some of the things that were hers. I will never let my kids forget her even though they never met her.

Most people that I know would rather spend their time with friend. I would rather spend as much time as I can with my family. Family is your friends, they are always there for you and they will never walk out on you. So think about the time you have with them and make your memories cause you will never know when it is their time to say good bye.