The Dog who Saved our Hope

Caitie - il

I believe that Boone, my dog as of now, saved our hope at a time when we really desired someone to love us no matter what. And here is why I say this…

Barely a month after my father walked out on us. His last pay check arrived in the mail to my house. After our dog Skeeter died when I turned 4 years old, my dad would not allow us to get another dog. So my mom, being the stubborn Irish woman she is, took his last check that arrived to our house after he left and brought us to the pet store in our Chicago suburban town. There he was; the cutest puppy in all of Chicago. Later my mom asked if we could play with him. As soon as she held him, he turned upside down and had the biggest smile we had ever seen, the sparkle in his brown eyes. Sold! $700 later Boone was bought and we took him home the next day because it had been his first day in the pet shop and had not had his shots. I believe at that day, Boone had saved our hope. Fate had allowed him to be saved for our family.

A couple of months later Boone had come into his own. Boone grew to have an enormous sense character. I believe that Boone saved our hope, without him in our lives we would have been lost with no faith. He could make anyone smile through the horrific times we had gone threw. He turned into my best friend. Boone’s personal-loyal, protective, and humorist; just another “human” in our family. His character helped me get threw numerous things in my childhood. After my father had left he went back to my mom saying it’s me or the dog. Of course we chose Boone. This decision was fate, even though we would move around every couple of months due. I look back on the years; tears never fell from my face about losing the ungrateful, lying, and horrible father I once had. If he would have stayed, I would not be who I am or have my unbelievable dog. Although we did eventually move out of the city; home, if it intended that Boone would for ever be ours, subsequently all of the hardship became worth it..

Evidently all we needed was Boone. I believe that if anyone does not have a dog they are missing out on a big experience that everyone needs to go threw. Having Boone in my life allowed the emptiness in my heart to be filled by unconditional love from him. So I believe that once all the chips had fallen, Boone was destined for my family, to give us hope.