people and gifts

chase - mt. sterling, Kentucky
Themes: gratitude

I believe in never taking anything or anybody for granted. A few days ago I was with my Nana and Pa, we always go out to eat and then go to Wal-Mart. Well this time I was in for a shaking reality check. When we got there me and my little brother went to the electronics and he ended up getting a 20$ PSP game and I got a 20$ PS3 game.

Well, when we got home and my Mom found out we got our Nana and Pa to buy us these things, my Mom took me in the back room and gave me a little lecture. This wasn’t any ordinary lecture; it was one of those CHANGE-MY-WAY-OF-THINKING conversations. It was about how one day my Nana and Pa won’t be there and I’ll wish I’d spent more time with the people and not the gifts they gave me.

Sure at first I was all hard headed about it, as would any normal 13-year-old boy. But after I left to go play my new PS3 game I thought to myself, “What if she’s right?” So I was convinced she knew what she was talking about. That was where that CHANGE-MY-WAY-OF-THINKING comes in.

Being the nice role model I am for my little brother Garrison, I gave him the same conversation my mother gave me. I think I instilled it into as well as I can, but I’ll keep reminding him about until it fully sinks in.

To this day, I still have to remind him that I told him that lecture and that still helps me remember too. So until it sticks, I’ll keep pounding it in to his little head.

I’m 13 year old boy and I believe in never taking anything or anybody for granted. “This I’ll believe ‘til I die.”