I believe I can be a star someday

Rebecca - 11235, New York

“I believe I can be a star someday”

Whose is that little girl walking around with a hair brush in her hand, and a song in her heart? That little girl is me, Rebecca and I was about four when I started dancing around and singing into my hairbrush. My mom would always come into my room and tell me to keep on singing. My dad was never around when I was little. But that’s okay, he was in the army, and his commitments were important to him. When I turned five, I was still not a very good singer. My mom thought I was, but I disagreed She always told me to sing even when I didn’t want to.

When I turned 8, my class heard me singing in the school bathrooms. I could hear them snickering through the stalls. I didn’t care because I knew they were jealous. Later that day, during class, they voted for me to sing for everyone. It was a competitive game, called American Idol (the kids version) I didn’t want to because there were about 20 people going to be listening to me. I built up the courage to play their game and I sang a song by Hillary Duff. I was so nervous, that my voice cracked three times, and I forgot the words to the song. They all laughed at me. It made me never want to sing again.

I ran home trying to hold back my tears, telling myself that I was strong. And, when I started to cry, I lay down on my soft pillow trying not to weep. When I came to school the next day, there was worse to come. I looked at the sheet that gave the people’s names who were voted out of the game. My name was at the top of the list, and my friends was right under mine. . She pointed to my name and I just shrugged. She was crying like a baby, which made me cry with her. On the day that she was booted off of the game, all she had was a soar throat so I wondered for the rest of the week if the reason I was booted off was because I was a bad singer.

From that day on, I said to myself, “I’ll show them. I am going to be a star someday if it is the last thing that I ever do.” I never wanted to let go of that belief. I knew that it was possible. During that summer, I sang until I couldn’t sing anymore, when something unexpected happened. When I was at camp, my grandfather passed. When my mother told me, the phone fell at my feet. I knew that it was going to happen soon, but I didn’t know that it would happen while I was away. I wanted to be at his side when it happened. He loved me and it only pushed me to get stronger. He would have wanted me to be a star, and my desire grew deeper.

Knowing that I didn’t have any real experience with singing, when I went into sixth grade, I wondered what I could do to become better. I BEGGED my mom to let me have voice lessons. But they were expensive, and of course she gave me the usual “We’ll see.” I was never too sure what she meant by that. I asked her again and got the same response. Luckily, my mom is a teacher and one of her students knew that I wanted to get voice lessons. Her student suggested the a local voice teacher to my mother.

When the day ended, my mom told me after school that my first voice lesson would be on Monday. I jumped in jubilation to know that my dream was finally coming true. I ran upstairs to pick out the songs I was going to sing with my new teacher. When I went to my first lesson, I saw a short woman, with short brown hair. She looked stern, so I was shy. Next to her I saw 4 other kids none of which I knew. I wondered if I was going to sing in front of them, and then she told me “this is a public lesson.” My heart started to pound and the memory of American Idol (the kids version) came fluttering back to me. I told her in a small voice that I couldn’t sing in front of anyone. She replied “this is the room were you can make mistakes. It’s okay that your nervous, but I promise that it’ll get better.” At that moment, I felt a weight off my shoulders.

She and I continued to have one on one lessons, to this day. She has helped me with so much, and even got me into Edward R. Murrow for music. I knew that with out her, my mother, and my grandfather pushing me to be the best, my life would have been very different. Today I am 14, still young, with a dream as strong as it will ever be. “I believe I can be a star someday.”