Being a Mentor

alexis - los angeles, California

I believe that you can make a difference in a person’s life. You can do small things for them such as buy them something or help them with their homework, or you can do something much bigger such as being a mentor. This, is me. I love to help people with all sorts of problems, small or big. Many of my friends already know this, so they come to me for advice. This year, a couple of classmates and I took things a step further. We became mentors.

We are seniors at South Gate High School. Our teacher Ms. Rex, told us from the beginning that it wasn’t going to be easy. I had that same idea too, but if it meant helping people and making an impact in someone’s life, I was up to that challenge, and much more.

We are mentors for freshmen. Most of the time it is easy working and talking to them, but at times, they get rebellious and not so fun to be with. We decided to mentor freshmen because the dropout rate for them upon entering high school is around 47%. Also, because they are starting a new era in their life, and we are already closing it. We are able to help hem with their work and, and in my case, much more. I gave my mentee valuable advice and life lessons. I did my part. I just hope he took it serious and he learns from the mistakes that I told him I made.

Being in a class of mentors wasn’t just talking to the mentees. It was also fun. We had a couple of field trips, one was to UCLA. We also had assemblies for our Business and Technology Academy in which we told all the students in our academy everything that was going on and things they needed to know. During the assemblies, we also had games such as dodge ball and tug of war. We did everything to try and make things fun.

We also had activities for just is mentors and mentees. We had a potluck in which everyone had to contribute and bring something such as snacks or drinks. This activity was entertaining and we got to know our mentees outside of class. In this potluck, I’m not going to lie, but I didn’t bring anything. I totally forgot. The teacher was really frustrated with me. To pay back and contribute, I helped set up. That made her happy, and it made me glad as well. This experience gave me a chance to be and know what it feels like to be a leader. It was tough at times, but we overcame it and made it pleasant. From this experience I learned that to make a difference is a difficult task, but in the end, it is all worth it.

None of this would have happened if we all didn’t work as a team. Working together to accomplish something always makes things easier, but everyone needs to contribute. This is one of our core values. Working together. Another core value that I would consider very important would be dedication. Anybody can say they’re going to do something, but you can’t do anything if you don’t put your mind to it. All the people on our mentoring class did just that. None of this would have been possible without dedication. From this experience, I learned a lot and had lots of fun, and I hope that so did my classmates and also mentees.