Older, But Wiser

Maia - Santa Cruz, California

I believe it is important to respect and cherish our elders. They are older than us, they have lived longer and they know more.

I am very lucky to have my grandparents living near me. I try to be as nice to them as I possibly can. They have done so much for my family and me. I think it is important to show them how much I care and how much they are appreciated.

Older people are not given the acknowledgement they deserve in our society. Many of them are great heroes. Our society only values what’s new. When people get older, they sometimes put them in a home, and never really visit them.

My grandmother is a very important part of my life. Not only does she spoil me by getting me clothes and other things, but also she is always friendly, loving, and caring. Whenever we are together, we always cook. Cooking is one of our favorite hobbies. She is a lot older than me so she teaches me many techniques to use in the future. Whether we are making breakfast, lunch, or dinner, it doesn’t really matter, because we just like spending time with each other. I know I should appreciate her while she is here.

My grandfather is also an important part of my life. He is very quiet and reads a lot, but he is also very funny and happy. I like to sit and watch TV with him, but he can’t hear very well so he is always shouting. I think it’s funny.

I remember when I was little and still living in Los Angeles, my grandpa and I went every night for ice cream at the local shop. He always got me French vanilla with rainbow sprinkles and he always got mint chocolate chip. That’s how he showed me how much he loved me.

The way I show them that I love and respect them is whenever I see them, I give them a hug. It is not as much as they do for me, but I think it still means something. I think they like it when I hug them because they usually hug back and give me a big smile, even though they aren’t the hugging type.

When my family moved away from Los Angeles, I had to leave my grandparents behind. I was sad and really missed them. I never knew how much they meant to me until I had to leave them. I guess, I kind of took them for granted because I thought they would always be there. But, then, they moved to where I live now a couple years later. I was so excited when I heard the news.

Grandparents should be respected. They are older, they are always nice to you, and they don’t really do anything wrong. They are also very knowledgeable and have a lot to teach us. They don’t expect a lot from you, except your love. And when you share that with them, they are truly happy.