Follow Your Guts

Shohini - Herndon, Virginia

I believe in following your guts. Sometimes that’s not the right thing, but mistakes are like sitting in a classroom. You learn. Listening to what you say to yourself is sometimes better than listening to other people because you know the reason to everything. You take credit, whether it’s good or bad. You can make a bad thing good because you know what you did, and why you did it, and that’s all that matters.

So many things have been discovered because maybe, just maybe, those people ignored the rest of the world and went on doing what they were doing, even at the cost of their lives, to make something new or prevent a mistake for future generations.

Following your guts can take you places and help you later on in life. I once made a financial mistake, with a very small amount of money, but I was given a choice and still made it. I chose it myself, and I know that I meant to do that. Now it will be easier to not make the mistake again with a much larger sum of money, or anything for that matter, because I had the hands-on experience with something small.

Following your guts can also lead you to adventures of a life time, even if it is to show that maybe you’re not scared even if you are afraid of the particular thing or activity. That tug in your gut may tell you that you have to prove yourself and you may discover a whole new thing that even you did not know about yourself. I was extremely afraid of zip-lining when I first saw people doing it, but I listened to my instincts, which told me to me to show my friends what I could really do, and now I love the activity so much!

My motivation for believing this is Galileo and other people who pursued whatever they were devoted to, even with the whole world against them. Follow your guts. It should be a public motto. Don’t let anyone get in the way of your life path. Just follow that tug.