What I Believe at Seventy-two.

Gloria - 55447, Minnesota
Age Group: 65+

What I Believe

I believe a certain amount of forgetting goes with remembering. At seventy -two, I know that most of our futures start with our yesterdays and what we do with them.

What do I believe? Why do I believe the way I do is a better question. I know if I were answering this question in my youth or middle age that my answers would be different. In my foolish youth, I would have told you with absolute certainty what I thought and believed but with each decade less certainty. Most beliefs were formed by the time I was ten and living on the farm. I learned about self-reliance and my love of animals and need to take care of nature. That foundation served me well.

There are times to proceed with caution with everything from relationships to life events. There were times I had no choice but to accept what couldn’t be changed. I also learned first hand that people I loved could change when given the opportunity. The right diagnosis for family members of my family was life changing.

I had to understand and practice before I could totally believe in forgiveness. I still straddle …depends on who and what I’m forgiving. If it’s my parents for not being who I wanted them to be, I can do that in a heartbeat…The driver that killed our daughter Kerry, I’m not there yet. Don’t know if I ever will be but I believe that God understands.

I believe in God. I have a strong faith…That wasn’t always true. I have what fits me perfectly now and I give thanks for that. I didn’t know what I was looking for until I found it.

Political and social issues became complex when I was in my thirties and forties…Race relations, civil rights, Rove vs. Wade. I cast my first vote for a Roman Catholic President and the Pope didn’t run the country as was predicted, then the wake up calls when the leaders of our nation were being murdered with regularity. Viet-Nam, Agent Orange. Watergate. What did I believe? Certainly not, what I was hearing from Washington.

Most of my beliefs are a dichotomy. I am pro-life and pro-choice. I believe marriage should be between a man and a woman but believe that committed Gay couples should have all the legal rights that I have. I believe that in a perfect world two parents would raise a child but see nothing wrong with single parents adopting or gay couples having children. I believe not all marriages are made in heaven but divorces are gotten too readily.

I believe in Karma…You will be repaid probably not in kind but in some way. None of us reaches our golden years with out tarnish. Our real life stories have their own ending and most of them are unpredictable