Belief in the City

Carolyn - Chicago, Illinois
Themes: place

In the morning the glass walls gleam and reflect the pink sunrise. Seamless steel beams reach up and up, looking like the arms of eager school children squealing to answer the question first. Each rooftop holds up the sky with broad shoulders or piercing spires. These are towers of inspiration and evidence of the sheer imagination that is born in nature but only successfully executed on the streets of a versatile city. If you stand looking out a window in one of these buildings, high above the city streets, you can take in the immensity as you would a breath of fresh air. The infinite amount of movement is invigorating. People begin to ready themselves for the day ahead; boarding trains and buses, mounting bikes and walking along sidewalks, getting to the places they need to be. The order in this transfer of people from vehicle to building is awe-inspiring; everything running so smoothly. All the while connections are made between every one of these moving persons. Between the businessman and the Starbucks barista. Between the concierge and the hotel guest. Even between the train motorman and the CTA rider. These are the links that make my belief in the city unbreakably strong. People are meant to be close to each other. The city is proof of that. Without these ties between every person in a city, no fresh ideas are created.

Ideas are the product of deep thinking that is culminated by groups of people, the likes of which can be easily found in cities. An urban setting is a haven for innovation. Cities are affluent with new buildings, new technologies, new policies, and new people. The constant need for these new things is a reflection of the survival tactics that are fundamental to urban dwellers. Open-mindedness is the key to the versatility unique to the city. When people live and breathe in such close proximity to one another, each person must adapt a sense of tolerance of and receptiveness to the thoughts and beliefs of those with whom they make even the slightest connection. The city draws people to interact with one another in order to build a solid and original future.