It is what it is

Amber - New Haven, Vermont

Did you ever have one of those days? You know the ones: when the entire universe seems to be conspiring against you. Well I sure have! It seems like everyday there’s something new to deal with; a problem at work, a fight with a friend, car trouble. Even the little things: no milk for your cereal, forgetting something at home, oversleeping. I’ve found myself using the same phrase when these things happen: it is what it is. Essentially saying to myself, and others, that there are things that cannot be changed, so why stress about them.

After having a friend mention how often I say this, I sat down and really thought about the concept and the wisdom behind this simple saying. Then I tried to actively practice staying in this calmer mindset and tried to not let the little, unchangeable things bother me so much. I think it has actually helped. I am now staying calmer when problems arise and trying to let go of the things that I cannot change just by worrying about them, like bills and the weather!

Thinking about this also got me to thinking about a philosophy from one of my favorite books, Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom. It’s about an old man who is dying and spending his last few months talking to his old students, colleagues, friends and family. One of the things he talks about is emotions. He talks about how we get bogged down in our emotions sometimes. The lesson was to acknowledge the emotion you are feeling, let yourself be completely absorbed in it, and then just let it go! I think that this is a great thing to practice. It’s not about suppressing your emotions, like fear, anger or sadness, but to be completely in the moment and just let yourself feel it. And after you’ve done that, it’s time to get on with life. This is another philosophy I’ve tried to incorporate into my daily life. If something goes wrong, yes I do get upset, but that’s ok. I realize that it’s not going to help the situation, so I just try to move on. Like being terrified of having to get up and speak in front of the class. I just get up and do it, and then move on. Because once it’s done, I can’t change it by worrying about how it went.

It is what it is, that’s what I believe.