The Power of the Film

Zachary - Lebanon, Tennessee

“Movies can and do have tremendous influence in shaping lives” – Walt Disney

Some people believe that a car can grant success. Some people believe in the magic of medicine creating an image of beauty. Some people believe the guy yelling from the TV truly has a life-changing product. We all normally try to find something to put our faith. In my life, I believe in the power of movies. As abnormal as it may sound, it has been proven to be a well-placed belief. Movies can bring us together as couples, families, friends, and so on. I’ve seen the influence of movies through and through; therefore, I know and believe in the true power of the cinematic world.

Movies have the unique power of connecting us all. Romance movies can make us cry, like The Notebook, or make us fall in love all over again like Sleepless in Seattle. Families can laugh together at a comedic movie. Laughter, as we all know, serves as great bonding time. Movies also give us great opportunities to have conversations. I have communicated with people, I’d normally never talk to, asking them if they had just seen a certain film. It’s truly amazing how movies can bring us all together.

I have walked into a theater, disgusted by the obnoxious people sitting next to me, but by the end I had some strange bond with that person because we watched the same triumphant, pride-filled movie. I remember my experience of watching the movie, The Passion of Christ. Right before the movie began, my parents went to get drinks for my family. The task seemed to be inevitably endless due to a long line of, yet again, obnoxious people. While I sat there thirsty I thought, “Why do there have to be this many annoying people to stop me from getting a drink!” I could see someone sitting next to me have a drink and a big bag of popcorn. Needless to say, I was immediately annoyed with the person sitting next to me. My thought process led me to feel annoyed with them, because if they weren’t here, then that would’ve been one less person my parents had to wait behind to get my drink. Finally, after what seemed like hours of watching people come in with thirst-quenching comforts, I got my drink. The movie began and the entire theater silently watched together. By the end, most people were crying and there was an unusual sense of solitude over the entire audience. I looked around and suddenly noticed everyone around me didn’t seem to annoy me anymore. Also, no one seemed to be annoyed with anyone unlike before. Somewhat remarkable things happened after that movie, at least remarkable for our day and age, people were holding doors for others, some were letting others in front of them instead of trying to get out before everyone else, and some people even helped take care of the forgotten trash. We all entered the theater as a bunch of obnoxious people and left as a crowd caring for others, all from watching one inspirational film together proving to me the power that lies within a film.