A Life Equal

Mildada - Wheaton, Illinois

Granted. That is how I have always viewed animals in my life. They had constantly been close, my life never void of them, but yet I hadn’t discovered the beauty and importance with which they would later shape my life. In the summer of 2008, branching off of my Grandma’s small village where I spend my summers there was a barn filled with all different kinds of horses. I had never taken an interest in it until presently and it had come upon me as soon as I had first stepped through the gates and smelled the smell that others may not appreciate as fully as I do. I had always loved horses, but not so much as to pursue the serious sport of equestrianism. So my summer had found its purpose. Taking lessons, resulting in my falling in love with the sport and becoming more than serious about it. I mostly spent my time inside my horse’s stall, talking to him and brushing his mane. For the first time, in a long time, I felt free. Free of a demanding face, which obligated me of a conversation. Free from having to constantly feel something other than nothing. Free from worrying what I looked like, what I said, what I knew. Free from time and the demands and blames of humans. What I had discovered that summer was more than just my love of animals. It was the fact that animals are better people than humans.

I have seen, studied and acknowledged the evils humans were, are and will be capable of. They have tortured, killed, and imprisoned brother, friend and enemy. We have taken over Earth, and corrupted the purpose that God has given us on it. The ones especially suffering are animals. We have taken over Earth as ours, presenting ourselves as the superior creatures, while imprisoning our living neighbors. Just because an animal’s mind is simpler than ours does not give us the right to enslave or commit cruelty against the creatures that have fought and died for us, that have proposed loyalty in us and bore with us through the evils we have committed against them. For, had it not been for the animals early man had domesticated, we would not be here. They had protected their masters against other humans, which would have destroyed one another. I have seen animals be pushed to the side, and viewed as lower creatures than us. When talk is raised of abortion, arguments and protests arise, yet when talk of putting a pet down is raised, people look it over as the better thing to do. Yet both are taking lives. Would I put my grandmother down if she were battling a deadly disease? Despite all of this, animals continue to love us. I still come home to a loving dog, which forgives me my sins without judging or demanding reason. A dog that worships me even though I have imprisoned her for my own pleasure, the definition of a pet. What I believe is not something I have learned, it is something animals have taught me through grace and love. I had been inspired by words which I had written previously, “Let him come to me, and you shall see that he will let me into his heart, that he will gallop through his dreams and think of me, that this magnificent creature should not be treated this way. And even if he was, he shall still open his heart for you and give you a chance to redeem yourself.

That human intelligence may overpower the simplicity of an animal’s mind, but in the end, his love and grace will conquer all the impurity of mind that haunts the consciousness of man’s intellect. That it takes a lifetime for a human to figure out what is important in life, but animals are born with this knowledge, and their large hearts do not consist of greed, or hatred or prejudice. They shall love you no matter the type of person you are; all they ask for is a little love in return. Their love is not conditional.

Animals have more nobility than any of us on this earth. I wish to go to their heaven, not man’s. I shall dance and sing for them, serve them and honor them, knowing that they have served us in so many ways that never in infinity could we repay them. Yet we still think our lives have more value than theirs, that we are the superior creatures in this place. God has made us all the same, whether a fruit fly, a tadpole, a dog, horse, or human. Equals. No creature, no matter how small will not cherish you if you give him or her love. So love all creatures, big and small with the whole of your existence, and you shall not die empty-handed. For you shall have discovered the beauty of these astonishing creatures which God has meant for us to apprize in the lengths of our lives

I have found my place on this earth. And I led him away.