Work and you shall receive

Cassie - Eagle, Idaho
Themes: gratitude, work

Since I was a young girl I have been taught to work for the things I want. When I walk into a shoe store, see brightly colored heels and desperately want the gorgeous pair of on my feet; earning the money for those 3-inchers was my own responsibility. That is equivalent with my grades because I work for those as well. I am a diligent student so I prefer to have excellent grades. Since that is a goal I strive to achieve, I need to put forth my own effort. As my mother would say, “Not everything is given to you on a silver platter.”

I made an abrupt decision to go to Europe over spring break, but my mom had me warned that I would be paying for it. I went asking for her permission, not for her financial aid. My heart has been set on laying my eyes upon the Eiffel Tower since I was a little girl. Albertson’s hired me as one of their lucky employee’s and at the same time I finally received my license. Every month I was making payments to my cell phone, while paying for gas at its high prices. Summertime fever also had me spending a large sum of money on junk food. Simultaneously, I’m trying to afford making monthly three hundred dollar auto-payments towards Europe. The realization finally hit me, when my mom suggested that not only should I work at Albertson’s, but I should find another job to help pay for what was going to be extremely challenging; accumulating enough money for all my monthly payments.

Weeks later I was given a second job at The Blue Moose Café. Steadily I began to receive enough money. After each payment I kept feeling more and more accomplished about the trip I was paying to take. My final payment was made on February 27th. In just a few short days I will be taking off the airstrip to the unreal city of Rome. Not only did I cover my whole trip payment, but I also accumulated almost one thousand dollars of spending money. My mom and I put together myriad of fundraiser’s to help acquire all the money I needed. Earning my way towards what I want, I have learned, will give me much more appreciation and satisfaction for them when it’s finally in my reach.