I believe in the gifts of a Father.

Khristine - Wauwatos, Wisconsin
Themes: family, gratitude

This I believe,

I believe in the gifts of a Father. Growing up I can’t say that I always understood my Dad. My Dad was a guy. In the morning he was sitting in his chair, wearing slippers, a worn robe that was up to his knees, his bare legs usually crossed, he would be reading the paper as I ran by. During the day, he was down in the cold basement with a space heater on playing his clarinet or sitting on a lawn chair by the lake reading a book. When he would wash dishes he wore without acknowledgement or shame yellow women’s rubber gloves while he listened to classical radio and rinsed pots and pans in scalding hot water. He would methodically set up the pier at Sunset Lake on a cool late day in May or without complaint tear it down on the last sunny days of the beginning of fall. My Dad is a doer, he is a man that is quick to jump up and rub his eyes when he is woken from his afternoon nap and take me down to his work shop and help me find the bolt that I know he will have or to come to my house to start the mower, apologizing on the way over for not really getting at fixing it. My Dad is a giver he will take the time to talk in the middle of the afternoon, sitting on the stairs in his living room or standing in the middle of the road. My father has humor, he can laugh at himself but mostly sees the people around him with the honesty of a child but with the intelligence and wit, he always has the courage to state the obvious and leave me laughing a knowing giggle. My Dad is consistent. He is up early and in bed at night even earlier and in the middle of the night when I have driven by his house and seen his light on, I know he is reading his Bible or eating an apple with peanut butter. My Dad is unconventional and a risk taker but so many would never know this about him. My Dad lives his life in quiet contradiction to what the world would see him to be and it is this quality that makes him so admirable. He doesn’t boast he doesn’t want First Place; he doesn’t compete for anything with anyone but has the drive of a true Leader, and the determination of a Champion. My Dad is the gift of a Father; a blessing that as I grow older I find him to be more of all the goodness, kindness and self-less love that God intended us all to be.

I believe in the gifts of a Father and the gift of my Father and this Easter Holiday, I know that God has given me a Father to show me love, faith, kindness, commitment, humility, patience, humor, honestly, intelligence and purpose.

My Dad is a man, a man with purpose in this world and he teaches me daily that we matter. This I believe.