What Friendship Can Do

Tiffany - Steeleville, Illinois

What I believe in is friendship. I discovered the true meaning of friendship when I was a junior in high school. My friend Mary had found out that her mom had cancer and from then on things were going downhill for her. She called me and was utterly depressed, which was understandable, so I was trying to make her feel better about the situation. Usually Mary is an upbeat person and very vibrant so I did not think her depression would last long. After a few months had passed things got worse. Mary then developed an anxiety disorder and everything was getting to her, school, family, and whatever thoughts she had they seemed to be always bad. She had bags under her eyes, looked like she could cry any moment and she was white as a ghost. I would go over to her house and we would watch movies, or go out somewhere and have fun, but nothing seemed to work. Soon she was having suicidal thoughts and that’s when I knew this problem she was having was getting out of my hands. I told my dad what was going on because he is good friends with one of me and Mary’s favorite teacher in high school. He sat down and talked to Alisa after school about everything, and soon after that she went to see a physiologist and things got better. It was such a relief to see the color back in her face again.

Why should people have a good friend to count on? A good friend will be there if it feels like there is no where else to turn. If a person can not turn to a family member for help the only person he might be able to go to would be a friend. A good friend can even change and save a person’s life. All in all, if Mary had not come to me I do no know what would have happened to her now. Therefore, know matter what age a person is he needs to have a good friend around to help him out.