i believe in having time to do nothing

Grace - Stillwater, Oklahoma

I believe in having time to do absolutely nothing, which can turn into meaning everything.

I have some of the best friends in the entire world. I could say all of the cliché things about my friends like, they love me for who I am, and they are always there for me and bla bla bla. But really, what I love most about my group of friends, is that the best times I can think of in my whole life, are times when we have done absolutely nothing. Now, this seems simple, but the real amazing thing is that when we do nothing, we have created this silliness that we have named “blarging” or “blarg time”. We “blarg” about. The blarg time itself does not mean anything, but it is the perfect amount of nothing that is perfect. In a busy life where we have school and our sorority and things to do almost 24/7, if we just take the last hour of the day before we go to sleep to do nothing or “blarg about” as we say, we end the day on a good note and have some fun. I feel as if I should clarify, for the record, that blarging does not include being under the influence. When blarging one has to be silly and do nothing of importance. Blarg can mean many different things, but nothing negative. Sometimes, one can even blarg during class and can recruit other to blarg and they do not even know they are blarging. That part of the day could be the best part of their day, because blarg was added into their lives.

Saturday afternoons are perfect for blarging. Last Saturday my six closest friends and I were blarging in the lounge of our house. We were doing nothing but it was wonderful. We talked and laughed and my friend Cara held me down and with the help of my friend Lauren she forced me to lie still while she drew a handle bar mustache on my face. This is what I mean. This time of doing nothing was the best time of the week. Because we live in a society that is constantly busy, when we have the time for some blarg time, just a little bit, it can add so much to a day with no “blarg”.