Things I Learned About Life On The Way To Washington

Melissa - Eagle, Idaho

I believe that behind all the clothes and make-up, people are truly good at heart. I’ve learned that when traveling to Washington, there is a small Pizza Hut in La Grande where a waitress learns everyone’s stories who pass through. Nowadays people are just another tip to be made. We pass through our lives not caring who comes into our diner or not. In the past, a stranger was just someone you haven’t met yet. Now strangers are people you don’t care to meet unless you have to. It is sad how self absorbed we have become over the years. People could learn from a person like that waitress.

I believe that life is full of imperfection. I’ve learned that my grandpa will help any kind of animal. When visiting my grandpa, I got to see the many animals he takes care of. My grandpa is astounding. In his lifetime he has raised baby deer by hand, countless birds, and his recent animal-goats. My grandpa is the kind of person that takes action when he promises to make this earth a better one. My grandpa has lived through many lifetimes filled with mistakes, triumphs, defeats, setbacks, and rewards. Everyone has their faults, but my grandpa is one of the kindest persons I’ve ever known. I hope to be like him in many ways.

I believe there are many beautiful wonders of the world. I’ve learned that at five o’clock a.m., the Columbia River is one of the most stunning sights. The various birds swimming on the river just before the sun comes up; or how the light from the sun hits the water turning it bright vibrant colors. The breath-taking calmness of the greenbelt and sleepiness of the town next to the gorgeous river is amazing to say the least. I’ve never seen anything like it. People should appreciate the little things in life; like the Columbia River, or the green trees, or even the blue sky.

I believe hope is brought out of fear. I’ve learned that we are so ashamed of our past that we forget about the future. In Washington, I drove by a factory that had helped supply materials for the atomic bomb. That fact that we were so disgusted with the Nazis killing all those people is hypocritical because we dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima. The damage done to people’s bodies and souls was devastating. We put those people through agony and suffering. We cannot change the past. Therefore, we shouldn’t dwell on it. The future is where we can move on from our mistakes. The atomic bomb will never be forgotten, but we can allow ourselves to be forgiven and learn from the past.

I believe people are good at heart. I believe life is perfectly imperfect. I believe the little things are wonders of the earth. I believe people are always there for each other, no matter the distance. I believe that hope overpowers fear. This I believe.