Becoming Me

Rachel - Springville, Utah

It was my junior year and I was just being a normal teenager. Hanging out with friends, playing sports, and having fun. But with all the fun that I was having, I still felt that something was missing from my life and that I needed to find something that would help me out. , Being a Latter Day Saint, I knew if I received my patriarchal blessing, I would be able to find the thing that was missing.

I made all the appropriate measures to receive it, such as calling the bishop and the patriarch. I finally got a date set up and I was all ready to go. The patriarch sent me a letter that listed things that I should do before coming to his house. I read the scriptures that he advised to, and fasted and prayed, and attended the temple. The week proceeding the Sunday that I was to get my blessing, my life went crazy. Satan was trying really hard to discourage me from getting my blessing by putting every obstacle in my way that he could. I kept praying to God that I could be worthy and ready for my blessing.

The day finally came when I was to go receive my blessing. I was so nervous. When I sat down with my Patriarch, I felt an immense calm and peaceful feeling. As he gave me my blessing, I was able to feel the veil thin and I could sense God’s presence. I felt as though I was floating in the air. My blessing was so beautiful. It applies to me personally. Every word in it is a message from God and it has helped me so much in my life. Whenever things get tough and I start to fall, I read my blessing and I think of that day, and I am able to prevail and move on. It is my map and rod sent from God so that I can return to live with Him again. I would not be the person I am today without it.

The day that I received my patriarchal blessing was a little over two years ago. It is still as important-if not more important to me as it was then. I have seen it take a major part in my life that I could have never guessed would happen. I can see that every thing in that blessing has, is, and will come pass in my life. When looking at the beautiful words, it is easy to become confused and to not understand what is being said. But as I have pondered and prayed, grown and developed, and through the trials and winds of Satan that appear, those words become understood and my path becomes clear.

My patriarchal blessing has given me a way to know what Heavenly Father wants me to do, thinks of me, and gives me comfort when I am in dire need. I have become such a better person because of my patriarchal blessing. I am becoming the person that God has intended me to be. I am becoming me. I believe that God loves me and wants me to return to him. He has given me a patriarchal blessing and countless other blessing to reassure me and show me that he loves me.