Walking Softly

Christian - Rexburg, Idaho
Themes: change, family

Walking Softly

I believe in being anxiously engaged in a just cause.

As a kid my mom would often read me stories of fantasy, and adventure. C.S. Lewis, Laura Ingalls Wilder, and Roald Dahl were the companions I had instead of your average friends. I would read about gentle giants and villainous pirates and used my imagination to fantasize about living in their world. I would often figure a way to integrate my real life into my fantasy. I so desperately wanted to be that iconic bashful hero that I started to mimic their shy, downcast personalities.

There is nothing wrong with writers using a traditionally downcast protagonist to ensnare the hearts of their readers, but this stereotype affected me greatly in almost all aspects of my life. When I started public school in third grade I was completely incapable of talking to the average person. I was afraid to make any waves partly because I was shy, but mostly because that is how my heroes would have reacted. I had been crippled by my inability to see the difference between a story, and real life.

As I grew older I got a job in the most average of all places, fast food. And as usual I kept a low profile. I began to lose confidence in myself. Others were promoted before I was. Not that I did not work hard, or do well in my job I just followed the pattern of my hero’s and did not draw attention to myself. Finally one day I was at a church social activity and I found myself not having any fun. They had even asked for opinions on what activities we wanted to do. That was when I realized I was heading down a path that was potentially destructive.

When I turned 18 I became increasingly interested in the business world and how it was run. My dad gave me a wonderful book by Robert T. Kyosaki called “Rich Dad Poor Dad”. Reading this book greatly excited me about how the world works, especially the business world. I found new heroes and heroines. These men and women did not sit in the background waiting for life to foist responsibility on them. They grabbed the world, and changed it to the way they wanted it, and they were good people changing the world to better place.

So now here I am. I still feel the need to “Walk Softly” but I try to be more proactive. I do more things the way I want to now. I have more fun. I still liked to read about the quiet kid that succeeds in life, but now I know that I can be someone else.