Concrete Fate, Illusory Choice

Kellis Charles - Pearland, Texas
Themes: change, equality

I believe in thinking about life, consequences, considering both sides of the double-edged blade, and for the most part, I believe that there is a reason for all that occurs in our lives. There are no mistakes. There are no accidents. Whatever happened did because it was supposed to happen. Life or death, rain or shine, getting a raise or getting fired – it’s all the same.

I had spoken with a friend of mine one day about predetermination, destiny, and choice when we came to a startling conclusion. The concept is: since God created the world and the laws that govern them, etc., He knows how each of us are, how we’re supposed to and will be. Plus, He knows when the end will be, and how it’ll be. In between the beginning and the end, Alpha and Omega, He knows what we’ll do and what choice we’ll make months and years before it is supposed to even be presented to us, which posed a question – wouldn’t that make free will inexistent, that there are no options but only what is meant to be? Life would be dictated by the phrase, “Concrete fate, illusory choice,” bringing about two concepts of itself.

The first of these is “Concrete Fate”, the idea that fate is real, and the second is “Illusory Choice”, the idea that choice isn’t. All the talk about how we make our lives what we want them to be is consequently a waste of breath. We have no stock in our future. The truth, as follows, would be easily understandable, but equally disconcerting. That is, all humans, the self-proclaimed “rulers of the Earth, the dominant species, and most intelligent over all other organisms”, are nothing more than mindless lemmings who dream of the notion that we are masters of our lives and destinies while we follow the path so clearly yet inconspicuously set before us with all its twists and turns.

How could we have been so blind to not see this earlier? How do others not know? How are they not aware? Perhaps it was ignorance, fear, or denial. Thinking about life in this sense is admittedly a bit mind numbing. I found myself slapping my palm against my forehead, thinking, “Wow, what a huge waste of time!” Emotion would be pointless, interaction futile, and so on.

However, there is a bright silver lining to this gargantuan dark cloud. If we allowed ourselves to be overcome by this mode of thinking, we would be completely lethargic and sloth-like, if we even moved at all. “Life” wouldn’t really be considered “worth living or dying for.” I considered this with my friend after we had realized the Fate-Choice theory. I said then, and will say now, that we believe we can change the future in order to ensure that the one meant to happen will happen. So I believe in choice. I believe that we are more important than we give ourselves credit, and life is what life should be.