Having Fun

Henry - Durango, Colorado
Themes: pleasure

I believe that everyone needs to get out of the house and doing something fun as much as possible. I try my best to live it up in the summer time because I know that when school starts, I will not have as much free time. Like most people, I’d rather be having fun than doing homework most of the time. So in the summer I get out of the house and have as much fun with my friends as the day will allow. Of all the things, from building to swimming, I would have to say that dirt biking is my favorite.

During the summer, I wake up every weekend and beg my dad to let me take my dirt bikes and my best friend, Vance down to Aztec or Farmington to ride. When he lets me, I get ecstatic. I go pick my friend up, gather all my things, load up the bikes, and go down to the place I will ride. Even though the trip is only about forty-five minutes, it seems like two hours to me. But talking and listening to music helps pass the time.

When I finally get there, Vance and I unload the red Honda dirt bikes and start raging. One of the best parts about riding is the adrenalin rush. When I open up the throttle on my CR250 and make the bike scream going sixty-five to seventy miles per hour, my heart starts racing and I feel the cool air rushing by. The adrenalin kicks in when I remind myself that if I make one small mistake going all out, then I will wake up in a body cast. I haven’t taken any major diggers yet, but I do crash every once in awhile trying something new. A good friend once told me, “if you didn’t wreck, you didn’t ride” and I ride every single chance I get.

The next best thing about riding is using little hills as jumps. When I am coming up on the jump the adrenalin comes back. I start to ask myself: is everything going ok? Am I going fast enough to clear it? Will I hit anything on the other side? Then I launch off the top of the hill and get the satisfaction of landing it perfectly.

In my eyes, this is the greatest reward. I can’t wait to hit the next roller. I can usually find a little sand pit here and there and work on my doughnuts. These are a little tricky, but the loose sand makes them a lot easier. I have to plant one foot on the ground and lean the bike over until the handlebars are almost on the ground, rev the engine, pop the clutch, and don’t let go of the bike. I rage on all day long hunting down the best terrain I can find.

When the day fades to night and my gas tank is empty, it’s time to go home. I load the bikes back up making sure they are strapped down just right and head back home. This time the forty-five minute drive only seems like five minutes. When I get home, I take a shower and scrub off all the dirt and grime. This is the last best thing of the day. Everybody knows how good it feels to be squeaky clean after being coated in filth all day long. I’m left with the satisfaction of knowing that I got out of the house and did something other than sit at home in front of the computer all day. I love riding my dirt bike. It is great exercise and stops boredom in its tracks. I think that everybody needs to get out of the house, get some fresh air, and, most importantly, have a great time.