The Language of the Gods

Mark - Stockton, Utah

I believe in Music.

I have seen how it has changed my life forever.

When I finished middle school I had a goal. That goal was to make our audition-only high school choir, just like my older brother, Matthew. Whether it was to be better than him, or to just be like him I am no longer sure. But, I wanted to make that choir like he did. So, I got a hold of the audition piece, the name has long since left me, and went to work.

I must explain why this is a miracle. I was not a hard worker. I took a lackadaisical approach to everything. I was a good football player. I would average three or four interceptions a game, so why work at it. I was also a good wrestler. I won almost every match that season; it required no effort on my part. Everything in my life was bare minimum, except music. I can honestly say I was bad at music. I knew that it would take a lot of effort, but for the first time in my life I really wanted something. I worked on my audition for hours every day. I would learn the Latin in the piece, and memorize the notes. My brother taught me what he could about using my diaphragm, and controlling my tone.

The day of the audition I was so nervous I threw up several times. Nervous was something I had never been before. As I walked in to audition my body started to shake. On the first note I heard a tone as clear as glass. I felt the air build in me like a full barrel. The Latin flowed from my tongue like a peaceful river. I thought I did well. The next week I came home from school and my brother was very excited. “You did it! You did it! You made it,” he was shouting. I met my goal. I started to see how good hard work can pay off.

That is but one experience in my life that has taught me the value of work. However, most things still get minimal effort from me, but I have learned to set goals and reach them. I learned that from music.

I believe in music because it continually allows me to see that I am never where I want to be and must therefore work harder. Music developed in me the value of practice. It normally claims four to five hours of my day. That practice is what has allowed me to excel at something. That practice is why I was the number two ranked baritone in the state of Nevada. Music is my escape and my reality. Music is everything to me.

Music claims almost all of my time; however, it is worth the time to speak the language of the Gods. So, I believe in Music