True Friends Touch The Heart

Kristin - Rexburg, Idaho

True Friends Touch Your Heart

“A true friend reaches for your hand and touches your heart.” This quote is inscribed on my favorite necklace that my best friend, Kayla, gave me for Christmas. When I first met Kayla, I never imagined that she would become such an important part of my life the way that she did.

Kayla, in my opinion, was a spoiled brat who didn’t like to participate in youth activities, and would not talk to anyone. After a few failed attempts to talk to her and to make friends, I gave up. A few weeks after meeting her family, our parents realized that we were both home schooled; after that our parents were determined that she and I should be friends. Much to our surprise we weren’t as different as we originally thought. Soon Kayla’s shy shell started to melt away and I was able to get to know the real Kayla. She was funny, sweet, caring, and more loyal than I could imagine. Kayla always defended me to other people.

We spent innumerable nights at each other’s houses talking late into the night about typical girl topics: boys, clothes, makeup etc. She would laugh at my crazy blond moments. For example one, Wednesday while we were waiting for our church activity to start, I noticed she had a new necklace on. It was a simple silver chain with a “K” on it. I looked at it for a moment, then asked “Kayla, why is there a ‘K’ on your necklace?” Kayla looked at me in utter disbelief then started laughing hysterically. Of course, I didn’t know why she was laughing, but when she calmed down enough to talk coherently she said, “Kristin, how do you spell my name?” I thought about it for a minute then started laughing as well.

As we got older, the late night topics of our conversations began to change. We talked about issues closer to our hearts such as our struggles with our families, other friends, and our church beliefs. Kayla was the shoulder I cried on. She let me vent about problems I had with my older brother Grant, who was a drug addict and suffered from bipolar disorder. Grant and I fought often, which caused contention in my family. She didn’t try to offer solutions, she just let me talk or occasionally even yell.

Kayla never judged me when I made mistakes, no matter how big or small. I tried my best to be a good example for her, but I sometimes failed. I always looked up to her and was strengthened by her. My faith and belief in the church grew when she shared her beliefs with me. She would say (things) to me that made me look at myself and evaluate my thoughts and actions. Kayla has changed my life in ways I never thought possible. She is a true friend. She reached for my hand, but touched my heart.