Are We There Yet?

Kaley - rexburg, Idaho
Themes: change, place

Are We There Yet?

I believe in Traveling. I am addicted to discovering new things in fascinating place: as tourists my family visited Mount Rushmore, as pioneers we experienced historic Conner Prairie. As cowboys and Indians we explored ancient Indian dwellings in Garden of the Gods, Colorado. As pirates, pillaging the beaches for hidden treasures, we discovered the Gulf Coast of Florida. From East to West, our excursions have taken us all around the continental United States

I was five years old; we were migrating south for the winter. We were headed to Florida for a family vacation and traveled in a caravan with our entire family. Each vehicle had a walkie-talkie as means of communication. Our CB Handle was “THE GOLDEN EAGLE.” Others in the caravan had code names like “Blue Bird,” and “White Wolf.” I loved listening to the drivers as they addressed each other in code. I insisted that my family call me “Lady Bug,” the rest of the trip.

We might as well have been traveling with the pioneers as we trekked to Florida. Our family didn’t have TV’s or portable DVD players. We had to entertain ourselves, keep each other occupied. Oh the things we did for fun when I was a kid. Singing songs, my personal favorite was “The Song That Never End’s…” Mom sure loved that one. Playing the alphabet game, keeping track of states on license plates to see who would be the first to get all 50. I know car games that could last a lifetime. Asking every five minutes “Are we there yet?”

I learned another language sitting in the back of our decrepit gold van packed to the max, as I listened to Steph and Ryan speaking in Pig Latin, and repeated them word for word. Erin and I kept busy by writing backwards notes on our windows addressed to passersby. I recall peeing in cups because we didn’t have time to pull off the road every five minutes, for the kid with the tiny bladder.

Dad was in grad school when we made the trip. My parents were poor college students. When the caravan stopped to eat my poor family feasted on PB&J’s while the rest of our cousins dined on Happy Meals and played with their new toys. To save time, we drove straight through. No stopping for the night at the hotel with a pool for us. Instead we converted our back seat into a bed and we kids settled down for an extremely long and uncomfortable night, as we endured the hot muggy southern air.

Despite a few setbacks… potty breaks, and fighting kids, we made it to our destination safely. We successfully managed to drive my parents insane. I can’t wait to someday take my own children on family vacations.