The Power of Friendship

Emily - Stevenson, Washington

I was homeschooled a lot when I was younger. I did attend first grade, while my dad taught in the same school, but that was just one year. When my parents announced just before my fifth grade year that my siblings and I would be going back to public school I was really surprised. I had just assumed we’d continue homeschooling. Public school was the last thing I expected.

My sixth grade year I went to school in Carson, a small town close to where I lived. On the second day of school as I was walking to recess by myself, enjoying the sun while it lasted, I heard two girls behind me discussing how to talk to me and ask me to hang out with them. I couldn’t help but peek over my shoulder then; my face was full of hope and I saw them both grin. They caught up to me and asked me to spend recess with them. These two girls would quickly became my best friends. One was Amanda, a cute little half-Mexican girl with golden brown hair and green eyes, the other was Rachael, a girl with strawberry-blond hair and a cute smile. We spent every second we could together that year.

I’d like to say that the three of us are all still best friends today, but as people do, we changed. The next year, all three of us started hanging out with different people. We still spent some time together, in classes, but not like before. The next year though, I started having problems with my friends. Amanda quickly stepped in; she invited me to spend lunches and before school with her. It wasn’t long before we became close friends again. Throughout the rest of that year, high school, and now college Amanda and I have become closer than we had ever been. She has become like a sister to me. We’ve seen each other through almost everything imaginable: family problems, friends, boys, tough classes, religious decisions and so on. She is my confidant, my other half and forever friend.

Our friendship hasn’t been a perfect one, but pretty close. We’ve learned that it’s better to say things we think and share our feelings with each other rather than keep them inside. If we don’t agree on something we’ll tell each other, and we’ll talk about it instead of not telling each other and it becoming a huge conflict later on. We also ask for each others opinion and advice on pretty much every subject. Because of Amanda, I have become not just a better person but a better me. I have become more confident and fun-loving. Before I was asked to speak up in classes, now, sometimes I talk so much that I’m asked to be quiet. I will always love her and can’t wait to spend many more years with her, because I know that because of her friendship, I am the best person I can be.