The Victory of Expression

Madeleine - Pittsford, New York

The Victory of Expression

I have grown up frustrated with the disability of proper communication. I have always felt that nothing I said could communicate my true feelings and emotions. Many told me it was just an adolescent phase, but I am no longer, or should I say I should not be an adolescent any longer so that excuse does not stand as viable. Expression can come in many forms but mine is not words or language, it is art.

When I pick up a paint brush or a lump of clay I immediately relax, my hands work, and my brain starts to turn and what results comes from how I am feeling or what I have experienced. I can look at any of my pieces of work and remember what I was feeling that day. Jackson Pollock, Mary Cassatt, or DiVinci all used art to express how they and others were feeling. I believe in Expression. Life is full of emotion and frustration. My dad would call them up and down hills. Early in my life I saw that a lot of energy was being used to feed these rides through the emotional ski slopes. I decided, as we all must, to channel that energy to a more productive use. I believe that in order to be happy one must properly express feelings through a chosen hobby. If time is not set aside to do what I am interested in, unhappiness and frustration become a part of a stressful lifestyle.

Singing, dancing, sports, writing, fashion, dying hair every week, or cooking are all expressions that can define a person. We all live and love some worldly things for example whether the Red Sox are an obsession or March Madness is fanaticized about every year or maybe a favorite soap opera is watched everyday and if missed the apocalypse may just come knocking at the door. These things are all just swell. But we are all guilty of them. It is not something we should be ashamed about. It is necessary to learn how to control your expression form so it can define you, not the subject defining the person.

I believe that whatever your expression it can replace what is missing in life. It is important, it is what makes me unique, and I am grateful for it. For me, the lack of emotional and rational personal communication makes me who I am today, it is what inspires my work and I am glad for it. It is something that has become a part of my personality and part of my livelihood. Expression is me and I believe in it.