Choosing Your Bus Route

Katrina - Skokie, Illinois

A bus ride is not just a bus ride. Sometimes public transportation could be a stress reliever. Think about it. On your way home from work you could close your eyes, and relax as you contemplate your day. On the contrary, it could also be a stress generator. While you were closing your eyes, what if someone stole your bag?

So, a bus ride is not just a bus ride. And one thing I believe about buses is that they are always on schedule.

The first time I rode the bus I didn’t know where it was going, but I knew where I wanted to go, so I asked the driver. There I was, on the bus alone and it reminded me of my journey and where it took me. When you know you’re in it for a long ride, don’t you tend to think about so many things during the trip too?

When I was 12 the course of my life had changed. After suffering a brain disease, the doctors couldn’t believe I was still alive, and I never thought I’d be normal again. On that day I knew where I wanted to go, and it’s medical school. The problem is I don’t know how I could make it financially and academically. I don’t know where life is going to take me.

I could see all kinds of people inside the bus. Some of them talk to the driver, some talk on the phone, and some even talk to themselves. Yes, I have seen a schizophrenic who’s a regular bus rider. The point is it doesn’t really matter what type of person you are. The bus doesn’t choose who to let in. As long as one pays the fair, it’s the commuter who chooses the bus route.

Just like the bus, I learned to let people in. I used to never tell my doctors when I had a headache or the nurse when something hurts or my relatives when they give me a headache. I ended up discovering my brain disease the hard way – through a stroke.

Being sick is one thing. Paying for it is another. My parents had to sell our car and truck to pay for the costs, but it wasn’t enough. The surgery cost a lot. In the end, unexpected people offered their help financially. Without them, I don’t think I’d be here.

Life therefore has its surprises. I believe that one moment could change your life no matter how big or small that moment is. I believe if I let the invisible hand take me where I need to be, I’ll be there. I may not have control over life’s course itself, that’s the driver’s job, but I can choose where I’m heading.

So be patient when the bus is a little (or very) late because we can’t control it. Even so, I still believe the bus is on schedule as long as I make sure its doors don’t close on me.