The Little Yellow House

Justina - Rexburg, Idaho
Themes: place, work

I believe that hard work pays off in the end.

Fillmore, Utah is a town that not a whole lot of people know about. It is located right in between Salt Like City and St. George Utah. Most of the people that come to this town only stop for a few minutes to fill up their cars with gas before heading on their way.

That little town in central Utah is very important to me because it is where I learned the value of hard work. When I was 13 my parents decided to buy a house which would serve as a vacation home until they were ready to retire. We looked at several homes but the house that my mom fell in love with was a little yellow house on Canyon Road.

My mom must have been able to see the potential of this house because it was a dump. The previous owner of the house was an eighty something year old widow who owned at least twenty cats. The cats made the house stink badly. The floor was one giant litter box. Someone tried to conceal the smell by painting the floors only to make it more potent. The linoleum tile was warped and the walls were peeling. The cupboards were falling off their hinges and several dead bugs lay scattered across the floors. We knew that we had quite a job ahead of us.

For the next couple of months we took the two hour drive down to Fillmore almost every weekend. Our weekends were filled with scrubbing and scraping the cupboards and walls, and then sanding and painting them. We covered the floors with brand new carpet and retiled the kitchen and bathroom. In the back room, where there was the most damage, we covered the walls with bead board. We worked really hard on the house until it was livable. It looked completely different, almost like a brand new house.

Our work didn’t stop there; we had to then take care of the large yard that surrounded the house. We had to rake leaves and weed out the flower beds. There was a huge dead spot in the lawn from a car that had been parked there for several years. I spent hours weeding and mowing the lawn. In the fall we spent the weekends picking apples, peaches, and pears from the trees in the orchard and then canning the fruit or turning it into jam. The house seemed to be a lot of work but it was worth it.

The little yellow house in Fillmore really taught me the value of hard work. I learned that if you really want something then you need to work for it. Some things take a little bit of work to achieve, but I believe that if we are willing to put in the effort the outcome is so much sweeter. The best things in life are the things that we work for.