I Believe in Imperfection

Ashley - Loveland, Ohio
Themes: humility

I believe in imperfection. The saying “no one is perfect” is widely preached but hardly practiced. People today spend their lives striving to have the reputation of perfection. They become tone, tan, and transfixed on an unattainable dream that controls their minds and alters their goals. Everyone catches the perfection virus at some time in their life. They fall victim to tabloids, media, and people telling them that perfection can be obtained with different creams, chemicals, clothing, or the latest craze. Now don’t believe I have come to preach and hold myself above the allusion of perfection. I spent nineteen years of my life submerged in a town that found worth only in things tattooed with a barcode and whose platinum visas were still warm from their last shopping splurge. Girls with freshly glossed lips and a swagger in their step strolled through the school hallways and I idolized them for they had what I didn’t– the mastery of perfection. This was at least how I felt before I entered the sixth grade. This year was a living hell and these girls were the gate keepers. They made a mockery of my clothes, friends, and completely crushed my self confidence with their critical unjustified remarks. I would find myself in tears and questioning what I had to do to make them stop. Though my mind was consumed that year with frustration, pain, and confusion I believe it made me a stronger person in the years to come. After suffering through being bullied by girls I once saw as an image of perfection I no longer wished to be a part of their inclusive club. I had endured the powerful effects that judgment and ridicule can have on a person and I refused to ever allow myself to treat someone else in this way. These girls wasted both time and energy attempting to obtain a since of perfection by taunting all those that would not comply with their standards. Ever sence that grueling year I have embrace people for their own individual talents, passions, aspirations, and most of all imperfections. Each person has a unique quality that separates themselves from the rest of the world. I see these unique qualities and imperfections as what makes our world a more colorful place. Embracing imperfection allowed me to no longer focus my time and energy on reaching a superficial goal of perfection and be able to see the true beauty in both the world and humanity.