Diversity: The Key to Unity

Caitlin - Glen Allen, Virginia
Themes: race, tolerance

I believe that diversity is a beautiful thing that shapes our universe, but I also believe that there are some who cannot accept the fact that there are others different from them.

I am a 19 year-old Caucasian female, who attends a predominately white university. Most people would say I have a stereotypical “white” family. I am aware of where I come from and what my culture is, but the question my parents ask me is, “Why do you have so many black friends?” My response is such, “Why does it matter?”

Most of my close friends are African American. Being able to adapt to the white and black culture allows me to see how completely different the two are. Yes, both races have their stereotypes they fall under, but both also have qualities about them that are unique. Since I have integrated the two cultures into my life I have been able to take valuable elements from each. I think this is what makes diversity so remarkable.

Coming from a diverse high school, it was a culture shock coming to college and having only two or three ethnic people in all of my classes. As I walk around campus each day and look into the faces of “my people” I feel as if some of them don’t know any better. They don’t know anything other than their race, and they do not communicate or interact with other ones. This disappoints me because there is so much out there that different ethnicities could learn from each other.

It upsets me to turn on the news or listen to stories about hate crimes that are still going on in the world. I would like to think that through all the events our nation has experienced that there would be no more discrimination, but that is not the case. Racist, arrogant people disturb me and unfortunately I have some in my family.

I think that God did not create different skin colors for us to judge one another, but instead to learn from each other and take away something that we cannot learn from our own culture. There is no one race that is more superior than the other, and I wish people could accept the fact that everyone is equal. I believe diversity is the key to unity, which is an aspect that distinguishes our nation and ultimately makes us profound.