Reaching for the Stars

Laura - Milton, Washington
Themes: work

“Be All You Can Be” is the Army’s theme and has been adapted throughout the years by many others. All throughout grade school ideas of becoming whatever we want to be are pushed into our fragile minds. Almost every child wants to be a doctor, fireman, or police officer, but who will actually put in the effort to become the doctor. They fail to mention the years of schooling and hard work required for the PHD to become a doctor. At a young age I was not too fond of working, but as I have matured I understand why teaching me this value of hard work was so important.

When I was in high school I decided that I needed to get more involved in something. I had been in swimming, but I wanted to be involved in a group, club, or organization. I joined the National FFA Organization. I determined this was something I was very interested in, and I was going to work as hard as I could, so I would one day hold a position of leadership. I started out as the treasurer and did my best to keep everything flowing smoothly. I devoted almost every spare minute I had to this origination. The following year, I was elected president of our chapter and the secretary of the district. I was given the opportunity to prepare and run fund raisers from car washes to plant sales. I kept records of everything we did throughout the year, and spent countless afternoons applying for awards and degrees. We spent hours and hours cleaning the barn, repairing damaged walls, pipes, fences, and helping students work with their animals. I believe in the importance of hard work.

The National FFA Organization is devoted to making a positive influence on student’s lives. This organization is nothing without its teachers and advisors, kind of like toothpaste without a toothbrush. It’s great you have the toothpaste, but what use is it to you without the toothbrush? I have seen the influence an FFA advisor can have on students. Without my advisors hard work and dedication to helping students, especially me, I know that I wouldn’t be the person I am today. He has influenced me to be who I want to be, and to do what I want to because I am the one who will live with those decisions. I am exactly the person I would hope to be. It has not come easy. Change is something acquired by time, patience, and plain old hard work. Someday I will be that FFA advisor, striving to make a change in the lives of students. When I am up late working on homework, or studying for exams, I am reminded of something my advisor told me, “There are no stars in the sky as bright as the one you will become,” and it’s all up to me. Without hard work I wouldn’t be the person I am today.