Best Friends

Chandler - Sugar City, Idaho

Best Friends I believe in coyote hunting.

When I was twelve years old I didn’t have much confidence in myself. Being the youngest of five, my opinion didn’t matter to many, so I just figured that I would sit back and coast through life. About a year later I found a way to express myself in front of other people and that was by taking friends coyote hunting with me. It made me feel important because I was the only person around here that knew how to call in coyotes that I knew of. At first I didn’t have much success bringing in the coyotes, so I practiced all the time I would blow my calls in my truck as I went to school, and watch movies on how to improve my calling skills. After a while I was able to bring in a coyote at least every time we went out not at every stand but most. People started talking about me and soon a lot of people started calling me asking if I wanted too hunting with them for coyotes. It gave me tons of confidence to know I was the one they were depending upon to have fun and when we did it would create friendships that will hopefully last along time.

My favorite experience while coyote hunting is watching the coyote came to my calls. Sometimes I can see them coming from three hundred yards it’s really amazing how cautious they are they never just come running in. They will go downwind of me first to see if I’m really a hurt rabbit. When they get close they become so intense at finding the wounded animal I can almost see them shaking they get really excited. They are a really beautiful animal. We have one that I called in, mounted in my cabin now, and it’s my favorite animal to look at up there just because when I do I remember the feeling I get when I see one coming to my call not really knowing what is going to happen. Coyote hunting has changed the course of my life. Before I just sat back and watched the world move around me but now I’ve decided that my opinion matters. From my experiences I have decided that I want to become a fish-and-game officer to help the animals in Idaho since they are having trouble controlling the wolves and amount of permits they are allowing I want to go there to change it for the betterment of the animals. By using my life’s experience of hunting to realize what needs to be done so that the animals can become more populated. In hopes that my kids someday will learn how to hunt because through hunting I have gained my best friend in life and favorite hunting partner. That person is my father I love going with my father because it’s one thing that I have taught him how to do. Now he really loves it too.