Brittany - Denton, North Carolina

This I Believe…

I believe that people in this day and time are rude. Not everyone has forgotten their morals and values, but the majority of people that I meet from day to day are simply discourteous. I think that everyone should change their outlook on life and start being nicer to their peers.

When I wake up in the morning, I try to begin my day with a positive attitude, no matter what I am going through. When I am walking into the store or a restaurant, I hold the door for the person behind me. When I am at the supermarket and I see an elderly person having trouble with their groceries, I help them out. When I am driving and I see someone who cannot get out onto the highway, I let them have the right of way. Yet, many of these people are unappreciative and do not even say thank you or wave as a token of their appreciation. And what’s worse, many people would never return the favor. What is wrong with people today? Do they not have the time to be polite?

So, in my opinion, everyone should take my advice and change the way they are living their lives. When one wakes up in the morning, he/she should have a new outlook on life and treat others the way that they want to be treated, even if that is kind of cliché. Believe me, you will feel a lot better about yourself in the long run, and it makes others like and even respect you. Even when someone is inconsiderate to you, don’t let that discourage you. Just know that maybe your chivalrous act toward them might just make them more courteous to the next person.