Music is My Light

Elizabeth - Rexburg, Idaho

I believe in music.

Music moves me. Music soothes me. Music speaks to me.

There isn’t a day of my life where I don’t sing, hum, or listen to a song. It doesn’t matter which genre it is. I love country music, both old and new. I love most hip-hop and some of the oldies. I love spiritual music. I love rock and roll.

My favorite thing about music is its versatility. There are so many things we can do with music. When I was in 5th grade I developed a love for playing the clarinet, which continued throughout my high school career. About the same time that I found my love for the clarinet, I also came to love the piano. My passion for choral music was not evident until my freshman year in high school. I have loved listening to music for as long as I can remember. My parents have always encouraged me to expand my musical talents, so I did.

While in choir class my freshman year, I was so scared to perform a solo. I was so grateful for the other members of my choir and for those who gave me the strength I needed. The girls in my choir class performed an ensemble for district music festival, and we received a superior rating, which advanced us to the state music festival. We were all so excited and felt privileged to have that opportunity. Because I had that experience, I have more confidence in myself and in others. It shaped me into the music fanatic that I am now. I tried out for honor choirs, and performed solos and ensembles. I was not scared to show my talent with those around me anymore.

During my junior year in high school, neither choral class nor band would fit into my schedule. I was somewhat upset about this, but I moved on and found joy in the rest of my classes. My mom told me one day that there was a light missing in me. That bothered me quite a bit. It wasn’t until my senior year when I was in both band and choir, that I made the connection. I realized that music was that light, that part of me that was missing. I think before I had to go without music, I took it for granted, and now I cherish the gift in which God has given me. I have come to appreciate my talent, and the talents of others.

I believe in music.