Spear Fishing

Rachael - Bakersfield, California

I believe in spear fishing. I believe that spear fishing teaches me patience and to rely completely on myself by being patient and calm when times get stressful and difficult. Spear fishing has taught me to trust myself. I believe in the way it helps me to relax. Not even a year ago, I went on a diving trip with my dad and little brother, Wyatt, in the middle of August. It was a Friday night and we all drove to the ocean with our boat.

Once we arrived, we hopped in the boat and started our new adventure to a place we called turtle rock. When we got to turtle rock the sun was going down, so we found a nice little area to spend the night. We anchored the boat by the side of the island and got ready for bed. Falling asleep was easy on the boat, with the waves rocking us back and forth. The next morning I woke up to the sound of waves crashing on the shore. We slowly got up and ate breakfast and then headed for our first dive.

After finding our first spot, we all got on our wet suits, grabbed our spear guns, and

jumped in. Floating in the water, I felt my body tense up from the cold and crispness. After a few moments, I warmed up by kicking and moving my arms around and finally felt my body start to relax. Once relaxed, all three of us split up in different directions and I got ready to fish. I took a deep breath and swam head first to the ocean floor and waited for a sheep head to come along. I can remember the wait seemed like forever. I could feel my lungs running out of air. Finally, when a sheep head got close, I pulled back and shot. Missing the fish, I realized I was completely out of air!

I swam to the surface fast, gasping for air and let my lungs fill up once again. After returning below the water, I can remember that each attempt that I took to spear a sheep head, I would miss. Not realizing that if I only waited a few more seconds, the fish would have gotten closer and I would have had a better chance of spearing it. Spear fishing has taught me to be patient, even when I felt like I just could not wait any longer, and to wait for a fish to come to me instead of shooting as soon as I see a fish. I learned that spear fishing takes practice. I believe when I am out spear fishing I forget about my troubles and things on my to-do list. I tend to live in the moment and not worry about relying on anybody but myself.