Alexandra - Pearl River, New York

There are so many things people get caught up with today, that when looked at in retrospect are insignificant. Everyone has some issues in life that really get to them and come in between them and their happiness. It would be ridiculous if people claim that they never get caught up in petty problems, but there are certain moments in time when you need realize how small your stresses really are. I believe in nature as a true scale of the issues and problems that you think are holding you back in life.

I can remember when my dad first told me that we would be spending the last week of our summer vacation in the car for ten days driving across the country The week that I was looking forward to, days filled with lying on the beach trying to get my final tan before school started. I wasn’t the most enthusiastic one going but everyone else was excited so I told my self I would be open-minded. We traveled from Rockland County NY to Wyoming and back in ten days with six people in a car, one of which who had a broken leg. Those tem days turned out to be some of the most memorable ones of my life.

The first two days of the trip I was very skeptical, driving through Kansas and Indiana was not very promising. Although I love corn, cows, sunflowers there are only so many miles of fields that you would like to drive along. I kept feeling that my first reaction to the trip was being reinforces. Then I saw it. About two hours into Colorado from the Kansas boarder there was a huge mass that was rising in the distance. For about thirty minutes we could not figure out if it was a cloud or a mountian. We soon found out that it was not only a mountian but Pikes Peak, one of Colorado’s huge mountian peaks. The nineteen-mile drive was one of the coolest drives I have ever taken. It was like a breath of relief after two days of endless cornfields. When we reached the top of the 14,110-foot summit, it amazed me how huge everything was. You could see lakes and rivers for miles and distant mountian that were so tall the clouds surrounding them made them look snow caped. That was just the start; we spent two days in Colorado and moved on to Utah whose giant, orange-red, sandstone canyons looked like the surface of Mars. During our many hours of hiking and visiting state parks, I realized just how huge of a force it must have taken to make all of these beautiful land features, and that all the problems that I thought so were so important in my life was actually insignificant. Suddenly my tan that I thought I was missing and what was happening between my friend and her boyfriend became less of a priority to just being happy with what I have and have experienced.

I believe that nature can be a true scale of what is important in someone’s life. I experienced something amazing and explored my country and during that process I realized that there is a lot more in life that needs to be experienced. Petty problems should not be the things that get you down. My friends and I are planning a road trip when we graduate from high school, and I hope that I will give them the same tolls that I gained to truly scale the things that are truly important in life and are actually insignificant.