The Importance of Your Health and Caring

Jackie - Nanuet, New York

I believe that your health should be important to you. I believe that you should eat healthy and watch your weight. I believe that if you take care of your body and your health you will not get sick. I believe that if you care about yourself you will work hard to stay healthy.

My grandpa passed away over the summer. He is the kind of grandpa that is always smiling and who always wants a kiss hello and goodbye. I loved my grandpa and he would spend every holiday with us until he was in the hospital all the time. My grandpa was overweight for many years of his life, which led to his heart weakening. My grandpa was also a diabetic. He had to go to the doctor all the time. A few months before his death, my grandpa would attend every holiday, but his health got worse and he was not able to anymore. The doctor would tell my grandpa what to do, but it was up to him to take care of himself at home. He had a hard time doing that.

My grandpa never took care of himself. He was told not to eat certain food and when he would get home he would eat it. This just made him get even sicker. His heart was already weak and this made it worse. His kidneys started to fail and he started to go to dialysis several days a week because of this. Going to dialysis disrupted the lives of his children because they had to take time away from their busy lives to drive him there when it was his fault. My grandpa would not listen to the people in the hospital when he was there. He should have listen because this would have made him stronger. He just got weaker and he was moved to the nursing home. He spent the last three months of his life in the nursing home because he could not be trusted to take care of himself at his own home. He could not walk or dress himself anymore and his legs were huge and swollen. Even though he did not listen to take care of his health, my grandpa was still a good man.

I will always remember my grandpa as a kind man who served in the military for his country. He also adopted foster children and one of them is still in our family today. My grandpa was a loving and caring man his whole life, but, ironically, he did not take care of himself very well. I believe that it is important to care. I believe that it is important to care about yourself and others. My grandpa always cared about others, but he had trouble caring for himself and his health. It takes a lot of work to stay healthy and I wish that my grandpa could have tried a little harder so he would still be here with me today. I will always remember and miss my grandpa. My dad is overweight now, but not as much as my grandpa was, but if he does not start taking care of himself, he will end up like my grandpa. I do not want him to end up like that and I am scared that he might. I am going to persuade him to eat healthier because I want him to stay with me for a long time. I believe that you have to care for yourself and your health to live a healthy life. I believe you should care for yourself and your health.