Kristen - Orangeburg, New York
Themes: love

I believe in love and that there is someone out there for everyone. I believe that once you find it love is infinite. I also believe that love is like a circle because once you find the right one to share your love with, it will have no end. My mom taught me that when I was a very young girl, and it is something that I have taken with me throughout my life.

When I was younger I was very nervous to go to school because I thought that my mom would not be there for me when I got home. But, even though I knew it was not true in my heart, my thoughts that she would not be there for me took over. I used to make stories up in my head that my mom would not be there and that she would leave me at home by myself and never come back for me. I made my nerves worse for myself. My mom and my dad would always try to comfort me, tell me that she was always going to be there no matter what. They always tried to figure out why I was making these ridiculous preposterous things up in my head, but not even I knew. But, even though she tried to convince me that I was safe and had nothing to worry about. I was still nervous, still petrified to go to school and not have her by my side.

Before school my mom would always read me the story of the Kissing Hand. The main character was going through the same thing I was. She read this to me every time I got nervous. My mom read it to me so that I would understand that she would always be there for me. She read the story to me then she would say to me, “ My love for you is like a circle because it has no end” and gently kiss my hand just like the mother did for her child in the story. But, sometime that did not always help, so my dad tried to help me with my problems. He would always say to me, “Think about what you are really nervous about.” These things would help me because they helped me to realize what I was really scared about. My mom taught me that I should not be nervous and I should not worry about things like that. They would always be there for me and that helped me get through really tough times.

Even though I was really young at the time and did not really understand what my mom and dad were saying to me, now that I look back and think about what they said to me, what they said made a lot of sense. I might have learned this life lesson at a young age but I know it is something that I will keep with me for the rest of my life. I believe that love is like a circle because it has no end. I believe that love is infinite and once you find love you will have it forever. I believe that there is someone out there in the world for everyone. “ Love is like a circle because it had no end.” My mother taught me that and I will take it with me throughout my life and always remember that she will be there for me no matter what.