Being Yourself

Gabby - Pearl River, New York

I believe in having your own beliefs. I believe in thinking for yourself. And I guess you could say that I believe in being who you want to be. We hear it all the time; “Just be yourself “, but how many of us actually follow that conviction? Not many. Having my own personality and holding strong convictions, regardless of what other people think, is extremely important to me.

Having my own beliefs. Having my own beliefs and thinking for myself is a huge part of my personality. When I was younger, I was always taught to form my own opinion, but, like many others, I was young and I was highly influenced by the people around me. As I got older, I started becoming more aware of the world around me. I also started becoming more aware of myself as a person. I realized the true meaning of thinking for myself, and I formed my own outlook on life. In doing so, I found my own values and ideas, and because of this, I am able to be my own person. My parents helped me do this. They have always encouraged me to make my own decisions and think my own thoughts, especially my mother. Whenever I am faced with a dilemma, I go to her. She helps me see things clearly so that I can find a solution that reflects my beliefs. She often tells me “Making the right decision can be very different from making the popular one.” My mother has also taught me that being the same as everyone else is dull. She once told me, “Imagine we all saw the world the same way. How boring would that be?” Because of my mother, it is safe to say, that I have become my own individual, and ultimately, grown as a person.