dance can heal the soul

Brittany - Pearl River, New York

This I believe that dancing is a way people can connect. When I hear the word, “dance,” I think of a universal way to express you and away to comfort yourself. When I dance I feel a sense of unity with the other students because it’s something we all love to do, and we have fun doing it. When I go to the dance studio every Tuesday, there are students, there that I don’t know but I feel a bond with them because of the passion we have to dance and to perform for the people that care and love us.

Whenever I dance for an audience, I feel the excitement and the connection with me and the other dancers that are performing. When I practice with my class I feel the energy and the excitement all of us have towards the routine we are perfecting. I feel that connection because it is something my heart is really into and one of the few things I’m very passionate about.

When I first started dancing at the age of five, I started with many different types of dance, it helped me stay active and make friends. When I dance no matter what type of dance, I always find it fun and entertaining but it can also relive stress after a hard day of school or just when the world seems unfair.

I remember when I first started dancing hip-hop. My teacher told me “No matter what the song it is, you will always have a connection to it” stayed with me because there was a song I was dancing to about losing someone very close to the singer and when the class and I where learning the song. My grandfather who was always there to see me dance told me one day after I danced in the kitchen for the family after thanksgiving dinner. He said, “Brittany, someday you will be a dancer on Broadway.” Then about 3 months later he was admitted to the hospital, he was there for 2 weeks before he died and I danced one last time for him and I remember the glow in his eyes and the simile on his face. I was glad to see him simile even though he was in pain. I remember one of his last words before I left the hospital he said “I’m very proud of you.” That is still in my head and every time I dance I just think of those words and it make me dance with more passion and energy.

I believe that dancing is a way that people can connect because it’s a universal thing that anybody can do and no matter, type of dance, where you are from or what your age is, you can dance no matter what you dance or your skill level. I believe that “dance” can bring the whole world together and make peace.