This I believe

Samantha - USA

I believe that no matter what unkindness or criticism you face it is important to live your life, following your own truth. People often portray the type of person that others see them as and get fearful about whom they really are and the goals they can achieve. Knowing who you are and the accomplishments you have made is more important then negative attitudes towards from others. Being putdown by a peer can always hurt, but the real test is how you carry yourself after. I have seen many people be put down and believe the harsh words that were said to them. Being confidant and knowing whom you really are that is all that matters.

I always think about the people who have tried to negatively affect me in the past. I think about all the people I have in my life that do support me and believe in me. Then I think about why I let myself accept criticism meanwhile there are so many more worthwhile moments in my life that define me as a person. As a kid I would often go outside and play soccer with my dad. Being able to connect with my dad through soccer has always brought us closer. He has taught me to never give up and that through hard work I myself can do anything.. My dad was an amazing soccer player himself and I strived to be like him in every way. When I was in 7th grade I tried out for the Olympic development program, which is a state level soccer program. My dad would sit on the sidelines even on the coldest days sipping his coffee with a smile upon his face and sometimes I couldn’t quit figure out why. The first day of tryouts I had no friends and was often teased if I made a mistake. Their unkind attitudes towards me showed in my playing. I had two choices. The first was to quit on my self, quit on my dad, and quit on my dream. The second option was to take their negative words as fuel to keep playing. I will never forget when in the middle of a drill my dad called me over and said to me “ is this what you want, are you going to let these girls shatter your abilities. You need to play with your heart.” He was right and I just needed him to remind me that none of these girls could keep me from being my best. I made the team that year and from then on I wasn’t going to let people who don’t even know me keep me from making my dad proud. Your character and the type of person you really are means more than your reputation based on what people merely assume. I have always wished I disregarded unnecessary comments to better myself and to prove that no matter what comes out of peoples mouths that it is up to lead your own path in life.