Trying to understand what I may never understand

Bruce - Columbus, Ohio

I believe in the value of trying to understand what I may never understand. Please allow me to explain what this means with an example.

As a blind person, I have tried to understand color for most of my life. I would ask my friends questions about it and they would give me the best answers they could. At some point I stopped trying to understand it because I found it incomprehensible. The last time, I found a new approach based on how color is handled by computers. Overwhelmed by the endless and senseless numbers, I came up empty once again. My first impulse was to discard my notes but I couldn’t quite do it.

Last month, I reviewed my notes on color and realized I could not let it rest. I had to try one more time but I needed a new angle. Because of the vast amount of information that is easily available on the internet, I chose to follow the links that caught my attention. I have found myself asking questions about such things as the nature of light waves, the interaction between light and heat, the similarities and differences between light and sound waves, acoustics, and more. A world has opened up to me even though it wasn’t the one I wanted.

I am not finished with this subject. I may set it aside for awhile but I will come back to it again. At least one question has emerged as a topic for future consideration. Do hot and cold exist in space or do they require the presence of matter on which to interact? Even though it is likely that I will never know the answer to such questions, for now, I will continue contemplating what I cannot comprehend.